Want to bring your own device (BYOD) and switch carriers to Sparrow?
Reusing is great for the environment and smart for your pocketbook. And, when you switch your wireless service to Sparrow, you get the nation’s top networks, friendly care and make a difference by kicking of a mobile donation to someone in digital poverty, even when you bring your own device (BYOD).
Most newer smartphones (iPhone/Galaxy models 5 or later, as well as other smartphones with SIM chips, such as Google Nexus and Pixel) as long as they are paid for in full and unlocked, can be activated with Sparrow. You can also purchase a brand new IOS device, directly from Apple, and bring it to Sparrow. If that’s the route you’d like to go, learn more about how to purchase an iPhone from Apple and bring it to Sparrow here.
Have your smartphone in hand and ready to make the switch?
First, check if your current smartphone is compatible with Sparrow. Because we use multiple networks, we check to see what network provides you with the best coverage, if your smartphone is compatible with that network and if your phone is unlocked. Even if your device is paid for in full, you may need to request your current carrier unlock the device. If the phone is paid for, your carrier is required by law to unlock it.
1) Call Sparrow at 844-697-7277 to see if your smartphone is eligible
Have your mobile phone number and device’s IMEI (15-digit unique identifier) handy when you call. There are a few ways to locate the IMEI:
- On the box your phone came in
- On the back of the phone or behind the battery on a white label
- On your device’s screen: type *#06# from the device home screen
- In your device settings, under general
2) Email Sparrow your mobile number + zip code + smartphone’s IMEI
Why do we need this information? We use your device phone number and IMEI to check its status with your current carrier. Your zip code helps us look up coverage in your area.
Quick Tip: How to Easily Capture and Convey Your Device IMEI
- Go to Settings > General > About
- Locate the IMEI (you may need to scroll down)
- Take a screen shot
- Email the screen shot and your zip code to wecare[at]sparrowmobile.com
Questions? Call and we’ll be glad to assist.