Run Updates and Stay Patched
Researchers discovered two computer vulnerabilities, named Meltdown and Spectre, that affect nearly all of the world’s computers. Meltdown and Spectre affect ARM, AMD and Intel processors, which are inside of virtually every computer, tablet and smartphone. Currently, the best action to take is to run updates and stay patched.
Apple says that ‘all Mac systems and iOS devices are affected’ by the vulnerability, but that there are no known exploits impacting customers right now…’ and Google provides a detailed list of systems impacted and action to take.
While the only true fix is a new processor chip, that will take considerable time to phase out every current computer and device. In the interim, technology companies are providing operating system updates and patches to help minimize the vulnerabilities.
To help protect your devices:
- Download the latest Android and OS operating systems and keep them up to date
- Update current browser versions for Chrome, Safari, Firefox or whatever browser you use
- Only download apps from trusted sources such as Play and the App store
- Apple: Processor Vulnerabilities Support Document
- Google: Meltdown and Spectre Security Blog
- Forbes: All of the Available Fixes
- Arstechnica Technical Analysis
The best thing to do all around is run updates to stay patched.